[vtkusers] Hidden static method vtkGenericEnSightReader::CanReadFile()

Todd Martin bookandpay at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 17:41:37 EST 2017

Hi

This commit has generated some discussion in recent weeks. https://gitlab.kitware.com/todoooo/vtk/commit/9b15f1354e1d7d1574f2f15e90097fd9d4b163da
If you use CanReadFile() from vtkGenericEnSightReader, vtkEnSightReader or vtkEnSightMasterServerReader perhaps you can clarify how it is being used.

I submitted a merge request to change the static method name to vtkGenericEnSightReader::IsEnSightFile() so that it still visible in descendant classes and then made vtkGenericEnSightReader::CanReadFile() non-static virtual. Now it is unclear whether vtkEnSightMasterServerReader should call vtkGenericEnSightReader::CanReadFile() because we simply don't know if the ability of the master server reader to read a file also depends on the file being an EnSight file. If that is the case, then the original implementation was wrong. Can anyone who uses this function please comment?

Freelance Engineer/Software ArchitectB.E. (Mech) Hons, PhD.