[vtkusers] Rendering artifact at opacity<1

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Wed Nov 8 08:29:43 EST 2017

Try using depth peeling to resolve the transparency.

  //@{
  /**
   * Turn on/off rendering of translucent material with depth peeling
   * technique. The render window must have alpha bits (ie call
   * SetAlphaBitPlanes(1)) and no multisample buffer (ie call
   * SetMultiSamples(0) ) to support depth peeling.
   * If UseDepthPeeling is on and the GPU supports it, depth peeling is used
   * for rendering translucent materials.
   * If UseDepthPeeling is off, alpha blending is used.
   * Initial value is off.
   */
  vtkSetMacro(UseDepthPeeling,int);
  vtkGetMacro(UseDepthPeeling,int);
  vtkBooleanMacro(UseDepthPeeling,int);
  //@}

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:09 AM, marcin.krotkiewski <
marcin.krotkiewski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> I am observing strange rendering artifacts on my triangulated surface when
> I use transparency. The artifacts are observed at certain angles only. I've
> attached 3 pictures:
>
>  - opacity_1.png shows the model as it looks without transparency
>  - opacity_09.png shows the model at an angle chosen such that the
> artifact on the surface is visible.
>  - opacity_0.9_behind.png shows the same model with transparency rotated
> around to a view that does not show the artifact
>
> I am using vtk 8.0 with the OpenGL 2 rendering backend.
>
> Is this a bug, or am I doing sth wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Marcin

> opensource/opensource.html

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.