[vtkusers] Cannot install Qt 5.6.2 with VTK 7.0 on Windows 8.1, Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue May 16 13:47:19 EDT 2017

>>Use the `-A x64` option when configuring to use the x64 architecture.
>
> The problem is that there is no such choice in my Visual Studio. I may
> select only ,,Win32" or ,,Configuration Manager...".

I think it's time you clarify what you goal is, since there's been
talk of both 32-bit and 64-bit in this thread now.

Do you want to build a 64-bit or 32-bit application?

If you want to build a 64-bit application, you should use the 64-bit
download of Qt, not the 32-bit that you mentioned in your last mail.

I'm assuming now that you are building on a 64-bit machine and you are
targeting 64-bit machines.

I've not built from within Visual Studio before, but I think to get
the correct configuration available in the generated VS solution, you
should invoke CMake at a command prompt with the correct environment
variables set up. This you can get through a shortcut installed by VS
2015 Community called something like "VS2015 x64 Native Tools Command
Prompt". Type "native" after pressing the "Start"-button in Win 8 and
it should pop up (several shortcuts installed by VS will pop up, so
make sure you pick the correct one).

Your environment (Windows 8.1, VS 2015 Community, ...) is actually
quite similar to the one I'm using, but I'm building using Ninja
(using the Ninja CMake generator), not from within Visual Studio, so I
have less experience with that.

Regards,
Elvis