[vtkusers] BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) when I try rendering data with vtk

Andrew Lam werdna.mal222 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 13:32:28 EDT 2017

I'm currently trying to follow this tutorial for my class.
https://pyscience.wordpress.com/2014/11/16/volume-rendering-with-python-and-vtk/
followed the instructions and my code matches up, but when I try to run it
I get the following error.

X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)

Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)

Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)

Value in failed request: 0x0

Serial number of failed request: 15

I've looked through other posts that have similar messages and they don't
seem to be quite the same. Oh I'm also running Ubuntu 16.04 on a virtual
machine. Please let me know of any suggestions you might have or any
additional information you'd need to help resolve this issue.

As suggested by Antimony I uploaded my code to github, here

https://github.com/alam38/lab6

I believe the relevant section is section involving the mapper. As you can
see from the commented section I switched from vtk's vtkVolumeRayCastMapper
to vtk's smartmapper as a suggestion from my teacher in the case that the
issue stemmed from the mapper placing too much strain on my computer. The
other similar questions all seem to point towards an issue with nvidia's
drivers, but I updated my drivers and there's still an issue. That still
didn't solve it and I'm not sure what else I could try. I've also posted to
stackoverflow, but I'm not getting much a response there. I will update
this with any new information I uncover there is people do start to chime
in.

Thanks,

Andrew