[vtkusers] Oculus Rift python wrapping

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue May 9 08:29:12 EDT 2017

You can try editing the CMakeLists file for Rendeing/Oculus and remove the
classes from the no wrap section. They might wrap OK into python. I have
not tried it.

We have not added support for the oculus touch controllers yet as we have
not had customer pull for it yet and limited time. If you get something
working though we can try adding it in so everyone benefits.

Thanks
Ken

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Daan Kruis <daan_kruis at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Readers,
>

> My name is Daan Kruis and I am a bachelor computer science student at the
> University of Amsterdam.
> For my bachelorthesis I am researching scientific visualization in virtual
> reality.
> The idea is to enable a user to create, edit and view a visualization
> pipeline all from a virtual reality environment.
> For this purpose I want to use the extensive VTK library.
> However, since creating and editing a pipeline from within an application
> requires introspection into the libraries classes and methods, I cannot use
> a language like C++, but instead require something like Python.
> Now the VR setup I have to use is the Oculus Rift with Oculus Touch
> Controllers, but there are no python wrappings for the Oculus Rendering
> classes in VTK (and in general no Oculus Touch support).
>
> My question is if there is any way to wrap the various Oculus classes in
> python, or if you know of a way to work around this problem.
> I was also looking at widgets, because they could prove useful in making
> the GUI, but they don't seem to be made for rendering in the Oculus. When
> Rendering a widget in the Oculus it displays it on both screens at the
> specified position and moves along with the movement of the head, instead
> of standing still in a 3D world. Is this the expected behaviour, or am I
> doing something wrong? And if it is expected, is there a way to render it
> as a still object in the 3D VR environment.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Daan Kruis

> opensource/opensource.html

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.