[vtkusers] vtk3ddelaunay save in .ply, .stl, .obj or .wrl

mozendi mozendi at gmail.com
Tue May 2 16:00:54 EDT 2017

Dear VTK users,

I am using VTK to generate a 3D Delaunay triangulation from a list of input
points that are obtained using terrestrial laser scanner. So far, I
successfully generated some 3D triangulations and saved them in vtk or vtu
file formats. However, I need to save them as one of the popular formats
such as .ply, .stl, .obj or .wrl. Could you please tell me how can I save 3d
triangulation in one of these formats? My other question is about setAlpha
and setTolerance parameters, could you please explain me these parameters in
detail?
Thanks in advance

int main( int argc, char* argv[] )
{
	//load the point cloud
	vtkSmartPointer<vtkSimplePointsReader> reader =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkSimplePointsReader>::New();
	reader->SetFileName("kucuk50k.xyz");
	reader->Update();
	vtkPolyData* polydata = reader->GetOutput();
	std::cout << "The point cloud is loaded" << std::endl;
	//end of point cloud loading
	std::cout << "----------------------------------------------" << std::endl;
	// Generate a mesh from the input points. If Alpha is non-zero, then
	// tetrahedra, triangles, edges and vertices that lie within the
	// alpha radius are output.
	std::cout << "Start delaunay 3d triangulation" << std::endl;
	vtkSmartPointer<vtkDelaunay3D> delaunay3DAlpha =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkDelaunay3D>::New();
	delaunay3DAlpha->SetInputConnection(reader->GetOutputPort());
	delaunay3DAlpha->SetAlpha(0.01);
	std::cout << "3d Delaunay computed" << std::endl;
	std::cout << "Start writing the triangulation" << std::endl;
	vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter> ugWriter =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter>::New();
	ugWriter->SetInputConnection(delaunay3DAlpha->GetOutputPort());
	ugWriter->SetFileName("delaunayy_50k.vtk");
	ugWriter->Write();
	std::cout << "VTK file created" << std::endl;
	return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}