[vtkusers] Modified() on PolyData if PolyDataReader started in a different thread

Sophonet vtk12af6bc42 at kant.sophonet.de
Fri Mar 31 08:11:25 EDT 2017

Hi list,

in an application, I am reading vtkPolyData from file (using
vtkPolyDataReader), but I am doing this in a separate thread (started
with C++11 std::async()) such that loading the data does not block the
UI. The rest of the rendering pipeline is set up in the main thread,
only reading takes place in a worker thread.

Strangely, when I modify Points in that mesh (in the main thread) via
SetPoint() later and call Modify(), the changes are not mapped to the
renderwindow after calling Render().

If I read the data in the main thread, the problem does not occur, i.e.
the Modify() call indeed leads to mapping the changes to the window.

What do I need to call in the main thread, after retrieving the data
from the future<> with get() such that the Modify() mechanism works?

Thanks,

Sophonet