[vtkusers] Importing lagrangian data from openfoam into numpy arrays

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Mar 30 07:55:02 EDT 2017

Victor,

To read in your file with VTK+Python, use

import vtk
reader = vtk.vtkPolyDataReader()
reader.SetFileName("myfile.vtk")
reader.Update()

Then, to convert your point data to numpy arrays, use

from vtk.numpy_interface import dataset_adapter as dsa
mydata = dsa.WrapDataObject(reader.GetOutput())
origId = mydata.PointData['origId']
ImpCpuId = mydata.PointData['lmpCpuId']

`oridId` and `ImpCpuId` are now NumPy-like arrays you can use like you
would NumPy arrays.

Paul's suggestion at looking at the blog posts for more comprehensive
information is a good one.

HTH,
Cory

Cory Quammen