[vtkusers] Temporal Interpolation Assistance with VTK7 in Python

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Wed Mar 22 11:26:52 EDT 2017

Hi Andrew,

> > Is this possible using VTK python bindings? If so, I would appreciate being pointed in the correct direction for implementing this sort of tool.
>
> I don't know whether the Exodus reader itself or the FileSeries reader does it, but one of the two should identify the files as a time-sequence.
>
> The ExodusReader does not do anything with time sequences. Paraview creates a FileSeries, but I need to do this without Paraview.

It looks like vtkFileSeriesReader and vtkExodusFileSeriesReader are both part of ParaView, not VTK. Either

1. use pvpython instead of vtkpython; or
2. ask about moving those classes to VTK (I don't know a reason they couldn't be moved, but I haven't looked at them in detail); or
3. make an external VTK module that includes those classes (or classes like them) and gets python-wrapped -- which seems like a problem to maintain.

	David