[vtkusers] vtk-7.1 openGL 2.0 crash

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Jul 20 09:48:52 EDT 2017

Not really which is why there is OpenGL2. The old OpenGL backend supports
all the way back to OpenGL 1.0. The problem is that most modern rendering
techniques will not work on OpenGL 1.0.

Keeping OpenGL (or extending it) was resulting more and more in a situation
where we had to say things like "Well LIC works, but only on these graphics
cards" As more modern features were added it was getting to the point where
what worked on your computer was in no way assured to work on another
computer.

OpenGL2 moves the baseline to OpenGL version 3.2 which is about six or
seven years old but has a lot of features that support modern graphics
programming. Now we can say if it runs at all, every feature should work.
This creates a different problem which we have been working on to make sure
all platforms have an option to support OpenGL 3.2. For OSX it is easy as
Apple already guarantees OpenGL 3.2 on any OS from the past many years. For
linux and windows it is trickier. Often updating your driver or Mesa
version solves the issue. Sometimes not.

Mesa will work on both platforms but currently we (and the operating
systems) do not have a good approach to try for hardware OpenGL 3.2 and if
not available, fall back to Mesa. It is something we think about regularly
though and we have some hopes that in the near future a more general
virtual dispatch mechanism will be implemented to solve this issue.

Thanks
Ken

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Satwik <satwik.k8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anyway to increase the performance for VTK-7.1 configured OpenGL.
>
> Regards,
> Satwik
>

> --

> opensource/opensource.html

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.