[vtkusers] vtk-7.1 openGL 2.0 crash

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Thu Jul 20 02:28:51 EDT 2017

> Is thr any way to find out OpenGL version in VTK .
>  So that system which supports OpenGL 2.0 can make use of VTK 7.0 OpenGL 2.0
> as Rendering backed.
>
> System which won't support OpenGL 2.0 can make use of OpenGL as Rendering
> backend.

Just some clarification: The current rendering backend in VTK is
called "OpenGL2", because it's the second version of the OpenGL
backend. It requires OpenGL 3.2.

The old backend is called just "OpenGL". I'm not sure which version of
OpenGL it requires.

It's easy to confuse the name of the backend "OpenGL2" and think that
the 2 means OpenGL version 2. But it's just a name. Perhaps it would
have been better to call it OpenGLNG or something for that reason.

It's not possible to build a VTK that has both the OpenGL and OpenGL2
backend built, and I'm not sure if it would be possible to deliver an
application with two versions of VTK (one with OpenGL2 and one with
OpenGL) and choose which one to use at runtime. Maybe.. but it would
be rather complicated.

Like Ken said, if you want something that runs everywhere, I think the
only option is to build against Mesa.

Elvis