[vtkusers] QVTK Widget odd behavior on Ubuntu 16.10 and NVidia GPU:

BBerco bebe0705 at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 19 10:47:35 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I have been working making an application cross platform between MacOS and
Linux Ubuntu. This piece of software is built around Qt 5.9.1 and VTK 8 for
the GUI side of things.

After a lot of fiddling, I'm pleased to say I have no issue at all on MacOS.
Here's a link to the Github Wiki of the project, with an illustration of
what it looks like as of today when operating nominally
(https://github.com/bbercovici/SBGAT/wiki)

Unfortunately, I am not quite there yet on Linux/Ubuntu. Specifically, the
QVTKWidget at the center of the QMainWindow constituting the GUI acts weird.

Here's what's happening when I am running SBGAT on Linux:

- Upon launch, the QVTKWidget 'separates' from the QMainWindow, so that I am
left with two windows instead of one
- The QMainWindow window works fine. All the buttons are responsive.
- The QVTKWidget is not responsive. No interaction appears to take place
between the mouse cursor upong clicking and the camera orientation.
- There is a strange "ghosting" effect with portions of the QVTKWidget that
do not get redrawn properly, but show neighboring desktop elements or
windows when moved around
- When loading in an .obj file using the QMainWindow actions, it gets
displayed on the QVTKWidget (so there is "some" rendering going on, although
no interaction is possible).

My desktop has a NVIDIA 980 GTX GPU, and I am using the latest NVidia
drivers I could find on apt-get (nvidia 384 I believe).

I believe a more detailed error message is sometimes spitted out by SBGAT
upon leaving, I will copy/paste it here later today.

Is there anyone who was able to make QVTKWidgets work on a similar platform?

Thanks,
Ben