[vtkusers] Plotting animations of VTK timeseries

awa5114 amine.aboufirass at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 10:32:01 EDT 2017

I have an FEM program that ouputs time series of unstructured grid vtk files
with file extensions corresponding to the time steps. Currently I use
paraview to open and visualize animations generated from the various scalar,
vector and tensor data contained within these vtk files. The issue is that
in Paraview it is difficult or not possible to visualize 2 or more data
animations (based on vtk time series) simultaneously.

In the work I do it will soon become necessary to run dozens of calculations
and output dozens of vtk timeseries simultaneously. Each timeseries would
contain a hundred or so vtk files and would correspond to an independent
Paraview model to look at and analyze.

I would like to figure out whether there is a programmatic way to load up
these vtk files, filter them accordingly (applying for example the same data
filter) and visualize all animations on one window, perhaps attaching a
little tag to each animation so that I know what I'm looking at.

Of course this could be quite demanding on the processor so I'm OK with
saving the "batch animation" containing all my different models and
visualizing it after the saving is done.

Any ideas on how one may accomplish this? Thanks.