[vtkusers] SetInputData and extents

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 08:49:33 EST 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 6:07 AM, Kit Chambers <kit.chambers.kc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> src1 > data1 [M by N myGrid object]
> src2 > data2 [P by Q myGrid object]
> filter1 < data1, data2 > data3 [M by N myGrid object]
>
> So in src1 and src2 I should implement a RequestInformation(), which sets
> the WHOLE_EXTENT on the output ports to M by N and P by Q respectively and
> the RequestInformation() in filter1 should set the WHOLE_EXTENT of its
> output port to be the same as input 0.  Is this correct? Note that in the
> above example we may have P>M or Q>N, would this mess things up?

If the size of the output is the same as the size of input 0, then yes it
should copy WHOLE_EXTENT from input0 to the output.

And if you want to keep things simple (i.e. if you don't require your
filter to be able to stream just part of data set), then set the UPDATE_EXTENT
for each input to the WHOLE_EXTENT of that same input.  Then the filter
will update the whole data set every time it executes.

 - David