[vtkusers] SetInputData and extents

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 14:04:35 EST 2017

Hi Kit,

The VTK image pipeline updates occur in three passes (RequestInformation(),
RequestUpdateExtent(), RequestData()), which are discussed in the VTK
Users's Guide and also on the following web page: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/
VTK/Tutorials/New_Pipeline

A filter should never directly set the WHOLE_EXTENT of its input.  It is
only allowed to set the WHOLE_EXTENT of its output.

With respect to the extent, the three passes of the pipeline work like this:

In RequestInformation(), a filter sets the WHOLE_EXTENT of its output.
This is how a filter tells the pipeline "this is how data I can produce".
A filter can be asked to produce less that this (as described in
RequestUpdateExtent, below).  In most cases, what a filter does in
RequestInformation() is check the WHOLE_EXTENT of its input, and then use
that same WHOLE_EXTENT for its output.

In RequestUpdateExtent(), a filter can request that an produce less than
the WHOLE_EXTENT of that input.  It does this by setting the UPDATE_EXTENT
of the input, while tells the pipeline "I need at least this much data from
this input".  Usually, it will set the UPDATE_EXTENT of the input to the
WHOLE_EXTENT of the input.  If a filter also sets EXACT_EXTENT for the
input, that tells the pipeline "I need exactly this much data from this
input".  If you do not set EXACT_EXTENT, then the pipeline will produce at
least as much data as requested by UPDATE_EXTENT, but possibly more.

Finally, in RequestData() a filter should call GetExtent() on each input
data object to see how data is actually there.

 - David