[vtkusers] 3D Rendering rotation issue with Opacity

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Jan 16 09:05:51 EST 2017

If you want to correctly render transparent objects you need to use
DepthPeeling

For background on why see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_peeling

renderer->UseDepthPeelingOn()

By default VTK uses alpha blending which is faster but suffers from view
dependent artifacts. In the new OpenGL2 backend depth peeling is supported
everywhere so it might be worthwhile for us to turn it on by default with
some low number of default peels for that backend.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Mikhail Pukhlikov <
mikhail.pukhlikov at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> We're using VTK for medical imaging but there is long standing issue we
> can't understand so far
> When 3D opacity is around 0.8 rotation gives some very strange mirror
> effect when near part is becoming invisible (very transparent)
> There is issue demonstration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-
> Ae8luypUS0UTdTNjd6a1hoS2M/view
>
> I had opened an issue there: https://gitlab.kitware.com/
> vtk/vtk/issues/16950
>
> Thank you,
> Mikhail

> opensource/opensource.html

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.