[vtkusers] VTK Compilation without its rendering possibilities in Python 3

Guillaume Jacquenot guillaume.jacquenot at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 18:13:08 EST 2017

Hello everyone

I want to use VTK without its rendering possibilities in Python 3 on Linux
or Mac OSX.
When I compile VTK, I have a include file error.
This error occurs for VTK7 and VTK7.1 on Linux and Mac OSX.

The error occurs on file
Wrapping/Python/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArrayPython.cxx with error
Common/Core/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArray.txx:17:10: fatal error:
'vtkMatrix3x3.h' file not found

I disable the rendering with these specific options

    -DVTK_Group_Rendering:BOOL=OFF
    -DVTK_Group_StandAlone:BOOL=OFF

The second option is required as discussed
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2015-May/090915.html

Below are the commands are that reproduced the bug, and the error

Do I miss something with VTK configuration?

wget http://www.vtk.org/files/release/7.1/VTK-7.1.0.tar.gz
mkdir -p VTK_SRC
tar -xf VTK-7.1.0.tar.gz --strip 1 -C VTK_SRC
mkdir -p VTK_build
cd VTK_build
cmake -G Ninja \
    -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/opt/VTK \
    -DVTK_Group_Imaging:BOOL=OFF \
    -DVTK_Group_MPI:BOOL=OFF \
    -DVTK_Group_Qt:BOOL=OFF \
    -DVTK_Group_Rendering:BOOL=OFF \
    -DVTK_Group_StandAlone:BOOL=OFF \
    -DVTK_Group_Tk:BOOL=OFF \
    -DVTK_Group_Views:BOOL=OFF \
    -DVTK_Group_Web:BOOL=OFF \
    -DBUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF \
    -DBUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF \
    -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON \
    -DVTK_WRAP_PYTHON:BOOL=ON \
    -DVTK_PYTHON_VERSION:STRING=3 \
    ../VTK_SRC

$ ninja
[2/45] Building CXX object
Wrapping/Python/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonCorePythonD.dir/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArrayPython.cxx.o
FAILED:
Wrapping/Python/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonCorePythonD.dir/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArrayPython.cxx.o
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/c++   -DVTK_IN_VTK
-DvtkCommonCorePythonD_EXPORTS -ICommon/Core
-I/Users/Guillaume/VTK_SRC/Common/Core -IUtilities/KWIML
-I/Users/Guillaume/VTK_SRC/Utilities/KWIML -IUtilities/KWSys
-I/Users/Guillaume/VTK_SRC/Utilities/KWSys
-I/Users/Guillaume//VTK_SRC/Wrapping/Python -IWrapping/Python
-I/Users/Guillaume/VTK_SRC/Utilities/Python -IUtilities/Python
-I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/include/python3.5m
-I/Users/Guillaume/VTK_SRC/Utilities -IWrapping/PythonCore
-I/Users/Guillaume/VTK_SRC/Wrapping/PythonCore -O3 -DNDEBUG -fPIC -MD -MT
Wrapping/Python/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonCorePythonD.dir/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArrayPython.cxx.o
-MF
Wrapping/Python/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonCorePythonD.dir/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArrayPython.cxx.o.d
-o
Wrapping/Python/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonCorePythonD.dir/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArrayPython.cxx.o
-c
/Users/Guillaume//VTK_build/Wrapping/Python/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArrayPython.cxx
In file included from
/Users/Guillaume//VTK_build/Wrapping/Python/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArrayPython.cxx:12:
In file included from
/Users/Guillaume/VTK_SRC/Common/Core/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArray.h:108:
/Users/Guillaume/VTK_SRC/Common/Core/vtkAngularPeriodicDataArray.txx:17:10:
fatal error: 'vtkMatrix3x3.h' file not found
#include "vtkMatrix3x3.h"
         ^
1 error generated.