[vtkusers] Trouble compiling VTK 7.1.0 with MSVC 2015

Guillaume Jacquenot guillaume.jacquenot at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:08:26 EST 2017

Hello,

I have tried to compile VTK 7.1 with MSVC2015 in release mode. Below is
CMake command line that reproduces the bug.

I have faced two compilation issues with vtkNetCDF

First, compilation stopped because of a missing include file required in
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/ThirdParty/netcdf/vtknetcdf/libsrc/lookup3.c#L58

I had to comment the following specific Windows include instruction to
continue
// #include <sys/param.h>  /* attempt to define endianness */

Second, in file ThirdParty\netcdf\vtknetcdf\libsrc4\nc4hdf.c, I have an
error for line 3666
error C2177: constant too big
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/ThirdParty/netcdf/vtknetcdf/libsrc4/nc4hdf.c#L3666
I also commented the lines, and compilation continues

The comment on the next line seems gave me the idea to also comment the non
compiling lines

https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/ThirdParty/netcdf/vtknetcdf/libsrc4/nc4hdf.c#L3674

I have checked the master branch and no evolution has been made to the code
since release 7.1.0

My CMake command line is

cmake ^
-DCTEST_USE_LAUNCHERS:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_USE_LARGE_DATA:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_WRAP_PYTHON:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_WRAP_JAVA:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_WRAP_TCL:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_Group_MPI:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_Group_Qt:STRING=OFF ^
-DVTK_DEBUG_LEAKS:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_ENABLE_KITS:BOOL=OFF ^
-DCMAKE_CXX_MP_FLAG:BOOL=OFF ^
-DVTK_LINKER_FATAL_WARNINGS:BOOL=ON ^
-DBUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF ^
-DBUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF ^
-DNETCFD_ENABLE_CXX:BOOL=OFF ^
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF ^
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release ^
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH="C:/Program Files/VTK_7_1_0_MSVC14_64" ^
-G"Visual Studio 14 Win64" ^
..\VTK_7_1_0_SRC

Guillaume Jacquenot