[vtkusers] vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper: Updateing ImageData after first Rendering?

Willy Wiggerl at Linhuber.info
Mon Feb 13 02:54:13 EST 2017

Hi,

 I use vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper to render a vtkImageData. I create the
vtkImageData, set all Propertiers (Dimensions,Extent,Spacing...) and after
calling AllocateScalars i use memcpy to copy the data into the vtkImageData.
If i have all Data at the beginning everything works fine, but unfortunately
thats not always the case.

Example:
If i have a 8-bit image with 2000x2000x800 (about 3GB) and can read only 10
planes per second it would take 80 seconds until the user can see the final
image. It would be better if the user could see the renderd Image
immediately and one plane after another would appear.

Is it possible to tell the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper/Renderer/RenderWindow
to update the data on the GPU after the first call of
vtkRenderWindow::Render() ?

Thanks
Ludwig