[vtkusers] Opacity discrepancy with downscaled volume despite opacity unit distance == spacing

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Sun Feb 12 11:51:02 EST 2017

> Hi Elvis,
>
> Here is something you can do as a check: set the sample distance for the
> ray casting to a very small value, so that it takes around 1000 steps for
> the ray to traverse the volume from front to back.  The thickness of your
> volume is 29*0.006 = 0.174, so you can try a sample spacing of 1.74e-04:
>
> mapper->AutoAdjustSampleDistancesOff();
> mapper->SetSampleDistance(1.74e-04);
>
> If the two volumes look the same when you use a small sample distance,
> then the difference you were seeing was probably just due to discretization.

Ah, good idea. However, if I set the opacity unit distance to such a small
value, both volumes appear as completely opaque red. This makes sense to
me, since with so many accumulations, the opacity value in my opacity
function (0.1) will add up very quickly..

If I, just as a test, try to "compensate" by using 0.001 instead of 0.1 in
my opacity function, the volumes appear non-opaque as expected, but again
there's a discrepancy between the small-spaced and large-spaced volume
(shown in attached screenshot).

Elvis