[vtkusers] 3D Surface or Volume

Paulo Bernardes pbernardes at uaum.uminho.pt
Thu Feb 9 10:05:18 EST 2017

But what if I cannot align the upper and lower surface? For example, I have 2
surfaces of one archaeological deposit – the upper surface and the lower
surface – which are separated by a specific distance (30 or 40 cm). This
distance corresponds to the debris removal during the excavation activity.
How can I create an approximate (but still accurate volume) from these two
spatially separated surfaces?

I’ve tried vtkDelaunay3D which produces a volume that in some (very few)
cases is acceptable, however in most cases it exceeds the real volume of the
archaeological deposit. How can I remove the exceeding triangles from the
volume?

I’ve also tried vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter, but this filter is just
usable if I’ve a very dense point cloud (I think).

The ideal would be to have some kind of procedure that could interpolate the
geometry between the 2 surfaces… :-)

I do appreciate any suggestion!!!! Thank you!

Very best regards,
Paulo