[vtkusers] vtkClipPolyData with a bounded plane

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 17:52:08 EST 2017

Hi Adam,

You'll have to describe what you're trying to do in more detail, but I
strongly suspect that the answer is "no".

The implicit functions used by vtkClipPolyData are f(x,y,z) where f() is
differentiable by x, y, and z at any point at which you want to evaluate
it.  We assume that f(x,y,z) is negative for some regions of space and
positive for the complementary regions.  The cut occurs approximately at
the implicit surface defined by f(x,y,z) == 0, hence the cut divides the
positive regions from the negative regions.

It's possible to define an implicit function that is a box, if you give up
differentiability at the corners and edges, but it is impossible to define
an implicit function for a bound plane.  You can only define an implicit
function for a surface that is unbound (like a plane, infinite tube, etc)
or closed (like a sphere, torus, etc).

 - David