[vtkusers] Issues with picking in VTK Java on Mac OS X

Kevin Milner kmilner at usc.edu
Mon Feb 6 17:10:03 EST 2017

I got my hands on an older MacBook Pro (non-retina, 13-inch, early 2011)
running OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks. I ran my code with the same VTK libraries
compiled from git/master and Java version (1.8u121). On this older
MacBook, picking works as expected. Both bugs in my original e-mail are
not present on this older, non-Retina Mac.

Any ideas on how to get this working on new Macs? Or where in the code I
can start digging? I haven't dug into the VTK source yet and my C is
rusty but I'm willing to give it a go.

In summary:
Old, non retina mac:
     *
vtkJoglPanelComponent.getRenderWindowInteractor().GetEventPosition() is
correct
     * picking with vtkCellPicker.Pick(x, y, 0,
vtkJoglPanelComponent.getRenderer()) works
Newer, retina macs:
     *
vtkJoglPanelComponent.getRenderWindowInteractor().GetEventPosition()
gives incorrect y value, though I can determine correct y value from
window height and Java MouseEvent
     * picking with vtkCellPicker.Pick(x, y, 0,
vtkJoglPanelComponent.getRenderer()) doesn't work, thinks that you
clicked somewhere else

Thanks much,
Kevin