[vtkusers] VTK without the V(isualization)

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Wed Feb 1 09:34:09 EST 2017

Hi Brian,

VTK would work fine with an offscreen render window which inherently does
not get any user interaction.

What is your use case for using widgets? Using the offscreen approach you
would have to maintain app-side widgets and then directly feed the relevant
values to the VTK objects.

For example, If you’d like to use the box widget to crop a volume, you can
have an app-side widget that computes the bounds for the crop and directly
use those bounds for cropping the volume in VTK.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Sankhesh
​

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:44 PM Brian Davis <bitminer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Investigating
>

> ​GetPlanes() : vtkBoxRepresentation
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkBoxRepresentation.html#a215b315283dbd5bf07d9e998d6e423bd>
> , vtkBoxWidget
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkBoxWidget.html#aff329326cf6d9539bdf73d8471034623>
> , vtkClipConvexPolyData
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkClipConvexPolyData.html#a9c8386b8399a92d7715ca0accde83d7b>
> , vtkFrustumSource
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkFrustumSource.html#ad258e57d67508896a08a24c4c9e1b88a>
>
> a little further reveals
>
> virtual vtkPlaneCollection
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPlaneCollection.html>*
> vtkClipConvexPolyData::GetPlanes ( )
>
> is not the same as
>
> void vtkBoxRepresentation::GetPlanes ( vtkPlanes
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPlanes.html> *  *planes*)
>
> and
>
> void vtkBoxWidget::GetPlanes ( vtkPlanes
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPlanes.html> *  *planes*)
>
> and hey... why would it be for consistency sake?
>
> or for that matter:
>
> virtual vtkPlanes
> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPlanes.html>*
> vtkFrustumSource::GetPlanes ( )
>
> Not that I need a Frustrum.
>
> So I look into vtkClipConvexPolyData and vtkPlaneCollecion to see if I can
> get vtkPlanes* and of course I can't.  I get the feeling that vtk is a bit
> fractured.
>
> Can someone explain to me why what is seemingly similar things in vtk have
> such different interfaces that don't seem to play nice with (itself) it's
> own api?

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Sankhesh Jhaveri *Sr. Research & Development Engineer* | Kitware
<http://www.kitware.com/> | (518) 881-4417
​