[vtkusers] OT: comments on ITK Discourse (was vtkGL2PSExporter crashes)

Isaiah Norton isaiah.norton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 10:43:36 EST 2017

Sean,

We did indeed have some people unhappy due to similar complaints when we
migrated the Slicer lists to Discourse, but we went through several rounds
of customization and I think (hope...) we were able to solve about 75% of
the issues. The person who was most vocal still participates, mostly via
email, and I think at about the same level as they did on the old mailing
list. In my view, the move to Discourse for Slicer was absolutely a success
because it has improved the quality of answers and the overall experience
and efficiency for both users and question-answerers.

Raising these issues on the ITK discourse itself could prompt some
improvements! Discourse is reasonably customizable from the admin interface
alone, and the code is very high quality if even more specific
customization is needed (although I'm not sure if ITK runs their own
instance or uses hosting).

A few specific comments:

> all email is now html

Discourse notification emails have a `text/plain` payload (I just
double-checked several notifications from the ITK Discourse). Most email
clients should be configurable to display this instead of `text/html`...

quoted text doesn't appear as usual

I think we had to tweak templates a little bit for discourse.slicer.org to
make people happy, and it is indeed still a little different from a mailing
list (e.g. only 1 replay context and indents instead of angle brackets).

the 'from' address is not something that can be replied to, making off-list
> replies impossible.

This is by both design and necessity: many users only interact via the web
interface. Private messages are available via the web interface, and I
think Discourse will relay notifications and responses via email once a
discussion has been started. (<soapbox>Off-list replies were a big waste of
time on the Slicer list and others I've participated in, because: people
unknowingly respond when the question had already been answered off-list,
users asked follow-ups off-list, answers weren't preserved for future
reference, etc. I'm very happy to be rid of that -- and I would have
changed the mailman mode to be reply-to-list a long time ago if I was the
list admin</soapbox>)

Best,
Isaiah