[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] Getting 0 response for all my questions

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Dec 8 10:07:19 EST 2017

Amine,

People on the email list do our best to respond to questions as we
have time and based on our expertise in certain parts of the very
large VTK library, but unfortunately, we can't get to all of them. I
would guess that most people who use VTK are not that familiar with
the selection infrastructure you are trying to use, hence, to respond
with cogent information might take someone a good amount of time. I
saw your questions, but didn't know the answers off the top of my
head, so I couldn't respond. The same is most likely true of other
readers of this list.

If detailed questions don't get a response, you might also have luck
asking a brief, high-level question. It seems you are trying to query
points based on their location. You might ask "how do I select points
in VTK meshes to extract information about those points?" That's a bit
easier to answer because different people on the list can chime in
with how they do it, either through Numpy, the selection mechanism, or
just iterating over points using Python.

Finally, members of a healthy mailing list both ask and answer
questions. If you see questions on the mailing list that you know the
answer to, please feel free to answer them. That builds goodwill, and
more practically may free up other VTK community members to answer
your questions.

I hope that helps,

Cory

Cory Quammen