[vtkusers] Install and use sample data

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Dec 6 15:35:33 EST 2017

Ah, yes, I should have remembered the contents in that directory. The
ExternalData directory is an object store where the file names are the
MD5 hashes of the data files. It's not human-friendly to access
directly - it is meant for the VTK testing framework.

To use the test data, you can look under VTK/Testing/Data for the file
that interests you (conveniently available for browsing online at
[1]). The data files in this directory have been replaced with text
files with the same name as the data file but including the .md5
suffix. If you open up one of these files with a text editor, you will
see one line of text, the MD5 hash of the data file stored in it. This
hash is the name of the file in the ExternalData/MD5 directory. You
can either point your example to the MD5 file directly, or you can
copy the file with the MD5 hash for a name somewhere else and rename
it.

Alternatively, you can build VTK with BUILD_TESTING on. In the VTK
build directory, navigate to ExternalData/Testing/Data. This contains
a directory with symbolic links named with the original data file
names and pointing to the corresponding file in the .ExternalData/MD5
directory created as part of the build process (note: you do not need
to download the aforementioned zip file to get the data if you are
building VTK, it is downloaded as needed).

HTH,
Cory

[1] https://www.vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=tree;f=Testing/Data;h=44fba308d8dd9d6ad4c90867273bff3e14fd54aa;hb=HEAD

--