[vtkusers] Does vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter not support export Array vtkInformation

scotsman60 doug at beachmailing.com
Sun Dec 3 20:18:54 EST 2017

Hello!!

I'm trying to use user defined keys on the vtkInformation object associated
with vtkArrays.

I was unable to persist and later recover this information when I was using
the vtkUnstructuredGridWriter and Readers so I figured I'd try the XML
versions of these IO classes (I saw an error message at one point calling
the original readers "Legacy" readers so figured the newer ones would be
better)

As far as I can see though, the vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter does NOT export
any of the vtkInformation from the vtkArrays that are associated with the
vtkUnstructuredGrid.

When I look at the ASCII version of the file I can see the array data but
there is no sign of any of the vtkInformation (When I look at the ASCII
version generated by the non XML writer I can see at least some sign of the
information)

Is there any way to include the vtkInformation when I persist the grid?

Are there alternative strategies for persisting array information between
sessions? I'm basically using the vktUnstructuredGrid as the persistence
mechanism for my program and if I can't keep everything I need inside this
structure I need to figure out an alternative persistence mechanism)

Tanks in advance,

Doug