[vtkusers] Increase color depth with volumic rendering

Gregory Zaccaro gregory.zaccaro at caboma.com
Mon Aug 21 11:40:58 EDT 2017

Hi Dear VTK users,

I've been working for several days on :

- Doing volumic rendering with VTK

- Export the render window to an image

I'm able to do that but I would like to increase the number of bits per pixels (bpp).

Currently, I use a vtkWindowToImageFilter combined with a vtkTIFFWriter to export the image of a vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.

I found that the method vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow ::SetupPixelFormatPaletteAndContext() let me specify the desired bpp.

I managed to go up to 32 bpp without any warning/error but it has no effect on the rendered results and the exported image, the image always has 24 bit depth RGB, 8 bits per channel.

I attached the code I use to achieve that.

My question is : is it possible to have a render window with 10, 16 or more bits per color per pixel ?

My system :

VTK 8.0.0 built from source

Graphics card : AMD Radeon R9 Fury X. Display settings supports 10 bits per channel