[vtkusers] Qt5/VTK application does not start correctly (with X11 forwarding)

Sophonet vtk12af6bc42 at kant.sophonet.de
Fri Aug 11 08:20:32 EDT 2017

Hi list,

an application using VTK 8.0.0 and Qt 5.9.1 (built with -opengl desktop)
does not start correctly (using X11 forwarding). After displaying an
error message "failed to get the current screen resources", there is
another error message

vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x55f891d77a80): GL version 2.1 with the
gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is
required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL
driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5
or later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

However, my Ubuntu 17.04 system has Mesa 17.0.7, glxgears works fine
(using X11 forwarding) and glxinfo shows (among other things) the
correct driver - see below, so I am a bit puzzled what is going on. Any
hints?

Thanks,

sophonet

P.S.: The first call in my application's main() function is
QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat, see below. The same application runs
fine and without problems on Windows.

#if QT_VERSION >= 0x050500
         // before initializing QApplication, set the default surface
format, see documentation

QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat(QVTKOpenGLWidget::defaultFormat());
#endif

GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
     GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_EXT_import_context,
     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
     GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
     GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
     GLX_SGI_make_current_read
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
     Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
     Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits) (0xffffffff)
     Version: 17.0.7
     Accelerated: no
     Video memory: 3949MB
     Unified memory: no
     Preferred profile: core (0x1)
     Max core profile version: 3.3
     Max compat profile version: 3.0
     Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
     Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits)
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30