[vtkusers] VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Mon Apr 24 09:18:03 EDT 2017

> And you ran it over virtualGL/TurboVNC?

Yep. See attached screenshot. This was when I ran

    vglrun bin/vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D
ExternalData/Testing -I

in a TurboVNC session from my own laptop to the server machine.

Out of curiosity, since we're using Qt 5 in our application, I tried
running the QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py script, as a quick test, and
it gives the same error as when running our app:

ERROR: In /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 628
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x25e1670): GLEW could not be initialized.

So maybe the problem is related to Qt 5 + VTK somehow?

In our application (C++), we use a custom QVTKWidget subclass. I'll
try to make a minimal test case that uses our custom class, but
QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py exhibiting the same problem seems to
suggest it might be related to Qt + VTK.

I also verified that the SmartVolumeMapper example works fine, even
when modified to use the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper instead (which is
what we're using).

Elvis