[vtkusers] Reading PVTU files in parallel and getting ghost cell data

nikki dakotam nikkidakota86 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 02:58:38 EDT 2017

Hello,

How do I read a .pvtu file in parallel (under the assumption that I have as
many ranks as the number of vtu files listed in the summary file .ptvu)?

1. Is there a way to get the names of the .vtu files listed in the summary
file?
2. Say I want to make changes to the .ptvu file (and the underlying
partitions) for eg. introduce a PCellData Scalar, how can I do that? If
there are already a few existing ones, how can I append.
3. Say I have not saved the ghost nodes. Can I now update my GhostLevel and
somehow get the ghost cell data?

Following is the way I am currently using:
I created a vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridReader, then using that I
get GetNumberOfPieces().
Then each rank now creates a vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader and manually
create a filename (say the input filename is abc.pvtu, the listed partition
files are of the form abc_0000.vtu etc)
Then I can read the individual files.

thanks