[vtkusers] Building VTK for Android

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Apr 13 09:30:14 EDT 2017

Glad you got it working!

Google changed their build process and VTK's build process needs to be
updated to reflect it.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Alexander Novinskiy <
alexander.novinskiy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I managed to solved the problem as follows:
>
> I downloaded android command line tools from the official Android Studio
> web site as an archive.
>
> The archive should be extracted into a folder “tools” which should be
> placed into android sdk directory.
>
> The android sdk directory will probably already contain a folder “tools”.
>
> One should substitute the default android sdk “tools” with the android
> command line tools downloaded as a standalone package.
>
> The reason for this is that “tools/android” tool is deprecated in modern
> Android Studio distributions and doesn’t work as it used to.
>
> I guess this issue should be considered by developers of VTK in order to
> ged rid of difficulties on the user side since Google doesn’t distribute
> proper android command line tools with Android Studio any more.
>
> On 12. Apr 2017, at 16:21, Alexander Novinskiy <
> alexander.novinskiy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear VTK users ,
>
> When building VTK v7.1 on my Mac if came across the following problem.
>
> On the configuration phase I chose building for Android and pointed out
> the location of the “android” tool as was demanded during the VTK build
> configuration process.
>
> When ran “make” command my VTK build failed on building NativeVTK with the
> following message:
>
> Scanning dependencies of target NativeVTK
> [100%] Building CXX object Examples/Android/NativeVTK/
> jni/CMakeFiles/NativeVTK.dir/main.cxx.o
> [100%] Building C object Examples/Android/NativeVTK/
> jni/CMakeFiles/NativeVTK.dir/Users/alex/Library/Android/
> sdk/ndk-bundle/sources/android/native_app_glue/android_native_app_glue.c.o
> [100%] Linking CXX shared library ../libs/armeabi/libNativeVTK.so
> [100%] Built target NativeVTK
> Scanning dependencies of target NativeVTK-ant-configure
> The "android" command is deprecated.
> For manual SDK, AVD, and project management, please use Android Studio.
> For command-line tools, use tools/bin/sdkmanager and tools/bin/avdmanager
> Invalid or unsupported command "update project --name NativeVTK --path
> /Users/alex/Development/GameDev/KitWare/VTK/Examples/Android/NativeVTK
> --target android-21"
>
> Supported commands are:
> android list target
> android list avd
> android list device
> android create avd
> android move avd
> android delete avd
> android list sdk
> android update sdk
> make[5]: *** [Examples/Android/NativeVTK/CMakeFiles/NativeVTK-ant-configure]
> Error 2
> make[4]: *** [Examples/Android/NativeVTK/CMakeFiles/NativeVTK-ant-configure.dir/all]
> Error 2
> make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [CMakeExternals/Prefix/vtk-android-21-armeabi/src/vtk-
> android-stamp/vtk-android-build] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/vtk-android.dir/all] Error 2
> [...]

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.