[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] Allowable C++11 Features in VTK

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Apr 6 16:05:00 EDT 2017

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:03:16 -0400, Robert Maynard said:

>As everyone is aware over the past couple of months we have updated
>VTK to require a C++11 compiler, but have not explicitly stated what
>C++11 features are usable.
>
>We do not intend to incorporate all features of the language at this
>time because of incompatibilities with the structure of VTK and/or
>incomplete support for the features by all of the compilers that VTK
>aims to support.
>
>The current proposed C++11 features, and where they are allowed can be
>found at:

It looks pretty good to me.

I'm a little trepidacious about 'auto'.  I think it can certainly be beneficial if used judiciously, but I worry that overuse will hurt the readability and debuggability of the codebase.

A shame that VS didn't support constexpr until recently, it would be nice to use too.

In general, one thing I've always liked about VTK's C++ is that it isn't unnecessarily 'clever' using any and every funky C++ feature.  I hope that continues.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com