[vtkusers] VTK- shift plane along spline, perpendiculary at each point of curve

MarWas18 marcinwas94 at interia.pl
Mon Apr 3 12:34:20 EDT 2017

Cory,

>Calling vtkParametricSpline::Evaluate(double u[3], double Pt[3],
>double Du[9]) will give you arbitrary points along the spline. u's
>first element should contain parametric value. The returned point will
>be stored in Pt. Du is not modified with this call, so you can ignore
>that.

May you give me some simple example of code, please? Let's say that we have
vtkPlane and vtkParametricSpline defined on 5 points. Let's say:

vtkSmartPointer<vtkPlane> plane =
	vtkSmartPointer<vtkPlane>::New();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkParametricSpline> spline =
			vtkSmartPointer<vtkParametricSpline>::New();

//splinePoints are those 5 points that I want to use

spline->SetPoints(splinePoints);

//What to do now? How to set that origin of plane should be point of spline
after arbitrary shift?

plane->SetOrigin(.....) ???

>You want the normal of the plane to equal the tangent of the spline.
>There is nothing built in that gives you the tangent, but you could
>use some simple finite differences of points along the spline to
>approximate it.

Got it, thank you!

Best regards,
Marcin Wasiucionek