[vtkusers] Interaction Window Not Catching Keyboard Events

Anna Danko annamdanko at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 13:27:35 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I am trying to extract part of a mesh with VTK. In particular I am hoping
to use vtkInteractorStyleRubberBandPick.  However, the VTK Interaction
window does not catch some keyboard events. I am able to shift+click to
drag, ctrl+click to rotate and shift+ctrl+click to zoom, but if I press
down on any other key, such as ‘r’, my input gets sent to the terminal
instead of entering selection mode. This problem is present not only in my
own code but for all the examples  I tried (and it isn't working when I try
to use vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera either).

I did find that by modifying the SimpleCocoaVTK.xcodeproj example, I was
able to get the rubber band pick to work the vtkCocoaRenderWindowInteractor.
However I would rather not have to use Cocoa.

I would greatly appreciate help in learning possible reasons why the
interaction window does not catch these events. I have no issues during
compilation and everything seems to be called ok.  I am using a Mac OS
10.12 (recently updated, but it wasn’t working with 10.10 either), VTK 6.1
and I am using Xcode 7.2.1 to build.

Thank you

Anna