[vtkusers] OpenGL2 using mesa

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Tue Sep 27 09:05:57 EDT 2016

Hi Ian,

Ken is right in that your Mesa is using softpipe instead of llvmpipe (see
the line that says "Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe"), which won't give
you the necessary OpenGL version, at least not out of the box.  There are a
few things you can try though to make it work as is.  See if you can force
the use of llvmpipe instead by setting the environment variable
GALLIUM_DRIVER=llvmpipe.  If your Mesa build contains that driver then it
should force it's use.  Also, try forcing the OpenGL version by setting
MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3.  This can work in certain scenarios where the
full openGL spec might not be available but enough of it is for VTK to
use.  Where are the Mesa binaries you're using coming from?

Chuck Atkins
Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
Kitware, Inc.