[vtkusers] GPU Memory Detection

ianl ilindsay at insigniamedical.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 05:32:33 EDT 2016

Apologies for replying to my own message again - just an update on progress.
I have downloaded and built the latest master version today (23rd Sept).

vtkDirectXGPUInfoList is still missing in action when using OpenGL2 - I have
double checked that I have the June 2010 direct X SDK installed. This
results in vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper using its default of 128MB and
therefore resampling unnecessarily.

Some of the symptoms I was seeing with the 7.0 release were actually due to
us setting UserMatrix on vtkVolume to be non identity - we use this to set
the original data orientation (oblique slices, bottom to top slice order,
etc). This resulted in only the edges of the volume being drawn. This now
seems to work fine in the master build. When the out of memory messages
occur, nothing gets drawn.

I have hacked the default of 128 MB to be 1024MB and rebuilt for now which
gets us up and running. Is this something that can be looked at for the
upcoming 7.1 release?