[vtkusers] vtkOBJReader incorrect number of points

user192048 chrisjkalas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 05:23:26 EDT 2016

Hi,

I'm having trouble with some basic wavefront obj file manipulation. I can
read in and display a textured model correctly seemingly, but when I query
the number of points I get a strange number (let me explain).

The file has vertices (v), texture coords (vt) and triangle faces (f)
specified v/vt v/vt v/vt. There are 17460 vertex points specified in the
file, and 34357. When I query the obj reader, it tells me "34537 cells, 0
verts, 0 lines, 34537 polys, 0 strips, 103611 points". The number of points
here is exactly 3*34357.

I had a quick look in the source for the reader and numPts is only
incremented on scanning a line starting with v, so I'm unsure why this is
happening. The major issue with this is that ultimately I want to write out
an object file that is a modified version of the original, but if the
original is wrong it won't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks