[vtkusers] Placing volumes exactly adjacent to each other

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 10:55:52 EDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Elvis Stansvik <
elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:

> I thought that with e.g. a 2x2x2 volume with spacing 1.0 1.0 1.0, I would
> get 2x2x2 area occupied when the volume is mapped into the world.

Let's get straight to the point.  In order to seamlessly display two
adjacent volumes, the volumes must share a face, e.g. the rightmost face of
the first volume must have the same data points as the leftmost face of
second volume.  I.e. the data points on the edge must be duplicated between
the two volumes.

This isn't specific to VTK, or even to volume rendering.  If one is
analyzing/visualizing a data set in a manner that requires interpolation,
and the data set needs to be broken into pieces, then adjacent pieces must
share data points at the edges.

 - David