[vtkusers] Using fontconfig with vtkTextMapper/vtkTextProperty?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Thu Oct 20 12:25:51 EDT 2016

elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:

>> Using built-in fonts I also get text rendered smaller than expected.
>>
>> However, I think it's a matter of DPI. I guess VTK assumes a DPI of 72
>> somewhere?
>>
>> With the following, the text is rendered in the expected size:
>>
>>     auto logicalDpiY =
QApplication::screens().at(0)->logicalDotsPerInchY();
>>     textProperty->SetFontSize(qRound(10 * (logicalDpiY / 72.0)));
>>     textProperty->SetFontFamilyAsString("Noto Sans");
>>
>> So I'm compensating for VTK's assumption about 72 DPI by increasing
>> the font size (on my system Qt's logicalDotsPerInchY() reports
>> 96.2526).
>>
>> I guess I should also figure out how to be notified when the widget is
>> moved to another screen and update the size, since the DPI of the
>> other screen might be different.
>

> Aha, yes, VTK does assume 72 DPI by default. We very recently added the
ability to change that for text rendering purposes. Call
vtkRenderWindow::SetDPI to update it to what Qt is using, and the text
rendering should adjust accordingly. Let me know if that fixes it.

Aha, thanks for the tip. On my way home now but will test tomorrow. Do you
know if it's in 7.1rc1? I'm building my Debian package from that tag

Elvis