[vtkusers] What is the Best Polydata Decimation Workflow

EdwardWang ed1996 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 19:18:42 EDT 2016

Hi all,

As a bit of context, I'm trying to use an implementation of the  Geodesics
in Heat Method <https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~kmcrane/Projects/GeodesicsInHeat/>
to calculate geodesics distances on a polydata. However, first I need to
reduce the number of vertices. Using Meshmixer, I import an STL file and
repair the mesh then reduce. I am then able to use the STL file. However,
since I'm working in and generating the models in Slicer3D, I would rather
not export the files to Meshmixer and then import again.

I've tried to mimic the process in VTK, using vtkCleanPolyData,
vtkWindowedSincPolyDataFilter,  vtkFillHolesFilter, and vtkDecimatePro. What
is the optimal way to combine theses functions, if there is any? And are
there any other filters that I can use?

Thank you,
Edward