[vtkusers] Clipping multiple actors in scene

Miorelli, Federico Federico.Miorelli at CGG.COM
Tue Oct 4 03:15:43 EDT 2016

Cory,

I did some digging and it turns out I can obtain what I want with clipping planes applied to actors.

I have a vtkBoxWidget that controls the position of the 6 clipping planes and on every EndInteractionEvent I cycle on the visible actors and call SetClippingPlanes on them.

Cheers,
Federico

______ ______ ______
Federico Miorelli

Senior R&D Geophysicist
Subsurface Imaging - General Geophysics Italy

From: Cory Quammen [mailto:cory.quammen at kitware.com]
Sent: lunedì 3 ottobre 2016 15:04
To: Miorelli, Federico
Cc: vtkusers at vtk.org
Subject: Re: [vtkusers] Clipping multiple actors in scene

Federico,

If all your actors will have the same display properties, such as surface color or coloring by the same data array, you could group your data sets together with vtkMultiBlockDataGroupFilter [1] and then use a single vtkClipDataSet on the multiblock data set it produces. If different actors have different display properties, I don't believe there is a solution that avoids doing it the hard way.

Alternately, some planar cutting can be done by changing vtkCamera's clipping range. This would not require grouping the data sets together.

HTH,
Cory

[1] http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkMultiBlockDataGroupFilter.html