[vtkusers] loading string field data

Eszter Fehér fehereszter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 16:43:13 EDT 2016

Dear Users,

I have a problem with string field data loading from ascii vtk files in c++. The file content is loaded to a vtkPolyData object from which I try to get the array of the string field data using the following:

vtkSmartPointer<vtkStringArray> array = vtkStringArray::vtkSafeDownCast(polydata->GetFieldData()->GetAbstractArray("strname",i));

The field data in the vtk file is like:
FIELD FieldData 1
strname 1 4 string

The problem is that the size of "array" (array->GetSize()) in the case above is 7 and all the elements 4..7 are empty and cause segfault if I try to read them.
The size of the array depends on the actual number of string values but it is really confusing:
actual size	array->GetSize()
1	1
2	3
3	3