[vtkusers] VTK7.1: render points as spheres does not work when coloring by cell data

lp lotterluke at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:10:40 EST 2016

Hello Ken,

Thank you for your swift reply. Let me apologize for not being clear enough
in my initial post. I will try to clarify.

I do not want to color the vertices by cell data. I just want to turn on the
tubes for the cell edges and the spheres for the vertices, while the cells
are colored by values in a cell data array. Both cell edges and vertex
spheres should just be colored by the constant color set with SetEdgeColor
and SetVertexColor on the actor property.

In the example that I send before, the sphere has a double array added to
the cell data and set as the active scalar. The mapper is set to
ScalarModeToUseCellData. On the property of the actor both
RenderLinesAsTubesOn and RenderPointsAsSpheresOn are set. However, only the
tubes are shown, the spheres for the vertices are not.

If I comment out line 36

sphereSource->GetOutput()->GetCellData()->SetActiveScalars("doubleValues");

then both tubes and vertex spheres are shown, but of course the cells are
not colored by their data array.

So, I wonder why is the rendering of the vertex spheres linked to the active
scalar on the cell data? Is this expected behavior?

The example was build with VTK7.1rc2.

Regards,
Lukas