[vtkusers] Remeshing or: how to get a "better" surface mesh from a vtkCylinderSource

normanius juch at zhaw.ch
Mon May 23 14:40:05 EDT 2016

Hi all

My question is whether it is possible to remesh an existing surface such
that the original geometry is preserved, but the triangulation has "nice"
properties.

Let me exemplify my problem with vtkCylinderSource. If you try to extract
the triangulated surface mesh, you will notice that the triangles of the
cylinder jacket are very sharp and spread the full height. Have a look at
the screenshot.

Some filters require a more homogenous triangulation of such a surface. How
could this be done in VTK?

Thanks!
Norman

By the way, this is how I extract the triangles of a cylinder source:

Screenshot 1: Wireframe of a vtkCylinderSource
Screenshot 2: Result after remeshing of the cylinder in an external tool

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5738187/vtkCylinderSource-mesh.png>
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5738187/cylinderRemeshedStarCCM%2B.png>