[vtkusers] connecting vtk to kinect

Luuk de Gram luukdegram at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 08:32:41 EDT 2016

Hello Aria,

What you could do is use OpenNI2 to read the raw data from the Kinect
sensor and then use this data within VTK. The original OpenNI development
got discontinued. However, the guys at Occipital who built the Structure
Sensor kept it somewhat alive at https://github.com/occipital/OpenNI2 You
can find a specific Kinect branch with build instructures there.

I don't know the purpose of your project, but maybe what you're looking for
is the Point Cloud Library: http://pointclouds.org/ The library also has an
OpenNI grabber, which makes the process even easier.

In our current project we're also using a depth sensor in combination with
OpenNI and VTK and so far it's been working great.

(Sorry, resending as I forgot to include the mailing list in my first
reply).