[vtkusers] VTKImageResliceMapper SetClippingPlanes problems

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 01:23:11 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Ang <ysa0829 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I understand the marching cubes algorithm and answer your question:
>
> the result is serrated Polydata.

Hmm... that's not a very good answer.  The result depends on how you
set the isovalue.  For example, I have attached images that show the
result of marching cubes on a binary image.  I used a different isovalue
for each of the three results.  As you can see, even though they all
look "blocky", the one in the middle is smoother than the other two.

I think best way is using the binary image as a mask and combine origin
> image's scalars value to generate  polyData.
>
> How do you think about my idea?

I already gave my opinion about this in an email to another user.  If you do
this, then the resulting model will be smaller than it should be.  If you
are
not able use the original image (with no thresholding), then I recommend
that you apply vtkImageGaussianSmooth to the binary image before using
marching cubes (set the InValue and OutValue of the vtkImageThreshold
to 0, 255 so that there is enough dynamic range to get a good smoothing
result).

 - David