[vtkusers] High memory cost of vtkDecimatePro for 3D model generation from DICOM series

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 00:37:01 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Liu_tj <tjlp at netease.com> wrote:

> Hi, David,
>
> Continue this thread. For the 3D model generation, we have a preview
> function. That means we need quick 3D model generation speed and don't need
> high model precision. Only when really generating, we need a good 3D model
> quality. So, for the preview, how to accelerate the generation speed?

For high speed, you can generate the model from a low-resolution image.
The vtkImageResize filter can generate a low resolution image very fast,
for example resize.SetOutputDimensions(128,128,128) will cause it to
generate a 128x128x128 downsampled image.  It uses a windowed sinc
filter to smooth the image while it reduces the resolution.

 - David