[vtkusers] VTKImageResliceMapper SetClippingPlanes problems

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:40:28 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Ang <ysa0829 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have another question about use  vtkImageThreshold and then do
> vtkMarchingCubes.
>
> I separate image to binary data using vtkImageThreshold ,then do
> vtkMarchingCubes to generate PolyData. I will see the polydata is serrated
> .

I will answer your question with my own questions.  To answer, you will
have to understand how the marching cubes algorithm works. If you don't yet
know how it works, please read the wikipedia page on "Marching Cubes or
(even better) the original paper.

Most importantly, consider this part of the marching cubes algorithm:

"Finally each vertex of the generated polygons is placed on the appropriate
position along the cube's edge by linearly interpolating the two scalar
values that are connected by that edge."

My questions for you are as follows: if marching cubes is applied to a
binary image, what is the result?  What is the best isovalue to use?  Can
you suggest a way to process the image that will produce a smoother result?

 - David